- Any government system that provides monetary assistance to people with an inadequate or no income
- social welfare program in the U.S.; includes old-age and survivors insurance and some unemployment insurance and old-age assistance
- (in the US) A federal insurance program that provides benefits to retired people and those who are unemployed or disabled
- Social security is primarily a social insurance program providing social protection, or protection against socially recognized conditions, including poverty, old age, disability, unemployment and others.
- Social Security, in Australia, refers to a system of social welfare payments provided by Commonwealth Government of Australia. These payments are administered by a Government body named Centrelink. In Australia, most benefits are subject to a means test.
- Salem is the capital of the U.S. state of Oregon, and the county seat of Marion County. It is located in the center of the Willamette Valley alongside the Willamette River, which runs north through the city.
social security salem oregon – Witch Hunts:
Witch Hunts: From Salem to Guantanamo Bay
Witch hunts are the products of intense fear and paranoia and the results are often terrible. The accused in three famous witchcraft cases – in Bamberg and Wurzburg, Germany, in Loudun, France, and in Salem, Massachusetts – were assumed to be guilty without proof. Secret accusations were accepted, evidence was falsified, and extreme pressures, including torture, were used. Arguing that fear was, and still is, a prerequisite to any witch hunt, Robert Rapley shows that the current hunt for terrorists mirrors the witch crazes of the past.Rapley analyzes witch hunts in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and finds many of the same elements repeated in more recent miscarriages of justice – from the Dreyfus case for treason in late nineteenth-century France, to the persecution of the Scottsboro Boys in Alabama for the gang rape of two white girls in the 1930s, to the Guildford and Maguire terrorist prosecutions in Britain in the 1970s. All three cases took place during times of extreme fear and paranoia and in all cases the accused were innocent. Today, argues Rapley, the ‘witch’ lives on in the ‘terrorist’. He cites as evidence Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, the first prisons created for ‘witches’ since Salem. In “Witch Hunts” he makes a compelling case that, in the wake of 9/11, witch hunts threaten the West and all it is supposed to stand for.
272 – Copy
First the steal my pension then they’ll steal your social security!